RE: Talking of /Teinolophos/

Trevor Dykes wrote:

> Primarily on that basis, Rowe et al refer /Teinolophos/ not just to
> Monotremata but also to, as suggested
> by the title of the paper, the platy family of Ornithorhynchidae. If correct,
> then the most recent common
> ancestor of a platy and an echidna pre-dated Teino's birth date, and that's a
> heck of a long time earlier
> than any molecular estimates have suggested.

The cladogram also supports inclusion of _Teinolophos_ in the
Ornithorhynchidae.  But I don't know how well supported (statistically
speaking) this particular topology is.  So I share your skepticism.

> The oldest clearly echidna fossils are from the Middle Miocene.

Are you referring to "_Echidna robusta_" (Dun, 1895), now usually assigned to
the genus _Megalibgwilia_?  Do you (or anybody else) know what material this
species is based on?

Cheers

Tim