RE: Nemicolopterus

Nick Pharris wrote:

>> That one is more obvious, but *Anurognathus* may well be a pun --
>> it's not just tailless itself, it also has jaws like an anuran.
>
> You're right! Never made that connection before.
>
> My apologies to Tim.

No - I think you might be right.  When _Anurognathus_ was named, it seems to
have been primarily intended to mean "tailless jaw".  I'm basing this on
http://www.dinosauria.com/dml/names/ptero.htm (and when it comes to etymology,
Ben Creisler usually knows his stuff.)  But the allusion to Anura may also be
deliberate.  Might be a double entendre, as David suggests.

_Batrachognathus_ certainly means "frog jaw", though.

Cheers

Tim

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get your
"fix".