RE: Nemicolopterus phylogeny

David Peters wrote:

> "Super claws" would have had a tough time getting
> around anywhere but in the trees.

Well, I'm guessing it got around fine in the air.  PAL 3830 ("super claws") is
the azhdarchoid that shows clear evidence of the cheiropatagium being attached
to the ankle.  I guess your argument is that because the hindlimbs are bound up
in the flight surface, the animal was ungainly on land, and so was limited to
the trees.  I don't agree with this at all.  I'd be more convinced of
arboreality in PAL 3830 if it showed pedal characters associated with
suspensory or prehensile behavior, rather than simply having a 'broad-chord'
wing.

> And Yes, that's yet another tiny pterosaur at the base of a major clade.
> Funny how often that happens. Zap! There goes arrow in the torso of Cope's
> Rule...

As Mike said, this is actually consistent with Cope's rule.  I think that arrow
of yours struck your own foot.  Funny how that happens.  ;-)

> Yes (to another question) anurognathids are very close to the base of the
> Pteosauria. And like Chris Bennett wrote in 1997 following earlier work by
> von Huene (I think), pterosaurs are indeed derived from Triassic arboreal
> leapers.

It's a plausible idea, but we need proto-pterosaur fossils to verify this
hypothesis.

Cheers

Tim

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get your
"fix".