Re: Stout in "Natural History"

I haven't seen these in NH yet, but good reproductions
also appeared in the last quarterly issue of
Prehistoric Times. The way the compositions work to
draw the eye and lead into the landscapes, the
dramatic but at the same time extraorinarily subtle
colors, highlights and shadows that emphasize the main
animals and their behaviors, the correct anatomy and
finally the sheer size and scope of the murals, to me
have placed these in the same catagory as the finest
work of this kind by Knight and certain others. Like
these, they surpass the depiction of scientific
information and have become works of inspiring beauty.
They are jewels in the crown of the SDMNH. --Mark

--- MKIRKALDY@aol.com wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:06:40 -0700
> darwinsbulldog@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Richard Milner has an article in the  current
> > "Natural History"
> > magazine (March) about William Stout  and the
> > dinosaur murals at SDNHM.
>
> Not sure if this has been  posted before, but high
> resolution images of the
> murals are  at:
> http://www.sdnhm.org/media/images_stoutmurals.html
>
> Mary