Re: marine reptile McMenu

There are so many factors but here are my off the top
of my head hypothoisms. Sperm Whales dive deep for
squid. Larger males can dive deeper than smaller
females. So being large might have been helpful in
this regard to giant sea reptiles. Humpbacks feed only
on krill and only 3 months a year. The other 9 months
are spent in warmer waters where they're is nothing to
eat. Sea Reptiles may have done something like this.
Some great food source sustained them for a long
period of time. Or maybe a good meal stayed in their
belly for a long time and it nourished them for a long
time.

I would tend to think you are right as far as them
being oppurtunists. They probably hunted one kind of
animal, maybe all other giant sea reptiles and giant
fish when they were only slightly hungry but hit a
less attractive staple, like shell fish or some
undiscovered jelly fish, when times were lean.

One could go on making comparisons to modern animals
and thinking of every possible scenario but there is
one scenario that is most probable and almost
certainly likely. They fed at night. The seas were
teaming with large meaty beasts and these monsters of
the seaway swam around easy as you please during the
day, looking for the rare easy meal but when night
came they got busy; sneaking up on all manner of prey
animals and muching down.

Certainly giant schools of fish would have been an
ever useful feeding option. And you can't count out
plankton either despite these creatures not having the
usual plankton feeding devices. They might have sifted
them out using their tongues. Though one would think
that if they did this the fossil record would have a
few baleen Sea reptiles in there somewhere.

Andrew S.

--- hammeris1@bellsouth.net wrote:

> Most of the depictions of these animals seem to be
> in shallow Jurassic seas of the time - if this was
> pliosaur preferred habitat, then they surely could
> have dived to the bottom to munch on the large
> mollusks of the time, correct?
>
> I would think they would be opportunistic eaters.
> If they could catch it, they ate it.
>
> But what about the deeper waters when crossing from
> one sea to another - could these leviathans hit
> swirling schools of larger fish like some kind of
> monstrous seal?
>

> Brian

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.