RE: did Jurassic dinosaurs have feathers?

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. writes:
 > > ....and while all the "birds" had feathers, in both the Jurassic
 > > and Cretaceous (the book was arranged by era *then* by
 > > clade)...the maniraptors and other predatory dinosaurs only were
 > > illustrated with feathers in the Cretaceous.
 > >
 > > is there reason to think that Jurassic predatory dinosaurs
 > > would/wouldn't be feathered?
 >
 > Jurassic maniraptorans would have almost certainly have been
 > feathered.  Compsognathids and tyrannosauroids would be fuzzy. More
 > basal theropods (including Allosaurus, Ceratosaurus, etc.) would be
 > scaled.

WHat's our reason for being confident that Allosaurus didn't have
feathers?  My understanding is that we have some preserved tyrannosaur
skin impressions that show scales and no feathers, but that this is
not taken as evidence that tyrannosaurs were not feathered -- only
that they had scales but that these could have been as well as, rather
than instead of, feathers.  What's to stop the same being true of
Allosaurus or Ceratosaurus, or for that matter Brachiosaurus or
Triceratops?

)_v__/\  "Power corrupts, and obsolete power corrupts obsoletely" --
         Ted Nelson, on the Microsoft DOS operating system.