Re: Do not misunderestimate the king was Re: Evolution of tyrannosauroid

Subject: Re: Do not misunderestimate the king was Re: Evolution of
tyrannosauroid

From: David Marjanovic: <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>

Was that even possible? AFAIK the back wasn't flat, but instead the
 neural
spines formed a keel, and the ribcage was tall and narrow.

==> If the animal was capable of a 'back-down' position, it certainly would
have no need for roll-wise stability (quite the opposite!), as it
obviously could not rise from this position. Therefore, if shape prevented an
equilibrium state in the 'back-down' position (on
flat ground), all the better for the king, as the worst-case
end position of a fall on flat ground was w/ the animal laying on it's
side. -- DO

> Logically, the arms might be useful in providing roll-wise stability,
 or
> even minimal thrust in such maneuvers, although ill-suited for such,
 even
> as you say.

Even worse: they are attached to the ventral surface of the body, so
 even if
they could be spread (which is not the case), they couldn't touch the
 ground
if the animal were indeed lying on its back.

==> I certainly did not imagine that the arms were of any
assistance until _after_ the animal was on it's stomach. -- DO