Re: did Jurassic dinosaurs have feathers?

On Jan 7, 2008 10:22 PM, Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> wrote:

> One possibility (definitely Type III = no bloody evidence at all!) is that a
> fuzzy body covering is primitive for Ornithodira, and was retained by certain
> pterosaurs (like _Sordes_ etc) and dinosaurs (especially small theropods),
> but lost (or scaled back) independently in many lineages.  [...] Highly
> speculative, I know, and as I write this I find myself less and less
> convinced that it's even plausible.

Well, you wouldn't be the first person to bring it up on this list:
http://dml.cmnh.org/1996Feb/msg00364.html

(Yes, 1996. Unfortunately I don't seem to have had the good netiquette
to have left in the attribution to the original poster.)

--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology