RE: Modelling large theropod movement

Did Hall Train do When Dinosaurs Roamed?

Is it just me - or did Walking With Dinosaurs somehow look more natural?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] On Behalf Of
Danvarner@aol.com
Sent: 10 January 2008 00:16
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Cc: Ken.Carpenter@dmns.org
Subject: Re: Modelling large theropod movement

In a message dated 1/9/2008 5:53:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Ken.Carpenter@dmns.org writes:

<< While it is true that this ground has been covered numerous  times and
many reconstructions of walking T rex have been done, all of them  suffer
serious problems. I question how much understanding about anatomy  and
locomotion these "artists" have. For example, legs don't move in  a
single parasagital (back and forth) plane (as seen in the  Train
model/video), rather he body shifts over the supporting leg (the  body
appears to rock from side to side during locomotion). >>

I was merely trying to direct Mr. Weselake-George to  the best video I knew
of in order to answer as many of his questions as  possible. As it was a
mechanical device rather than cgi, perhaps there were  limitations
constraining
movement in the model. The Hutchinson cgi animation on  the same page does
show
the rocking motion.
I do hope you  weren't including Hall Train in your apparently derogatory
"artists" category.  Hall Train is an exceptional artist; and one of the
finest
working in paleo art.  The work of paleo "artists" is easy to find, work
comparable in quality to  Train's is exceedingly difficult to find. DV