From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@umd.edu>
To: mjdefazio@yahoo.com; dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:32:30 AM
Subject: RE: Conspiracy Theory- Earth's Expansion

The term isn't "crazy": it is "chiropteran excrement insane".

The creator has only a very limited (pre-Geol 100) level understanding
 of
the data supporting sea-floor spreading, subduction, continental
 motion, and
such. He means well, but clearly has not looked into the numerous lines
 of
evidence that were brought together to demonstrate plate motion,
 subduction,
and so on. Any decent intro to physical geology textbook will given you
 the
preliminaries; even better, there are good popular books such as
 Powell's
"Mysteries of Terra Firma" and Nield's "Supercontinent" that go into
 more
detail on the discoveries that led to our modern understanding. And of
course, better still are the great number of upper level texts,
 technical
papers, and so on that documented these processes.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu    Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
Fax: 301-314-9661

Fax: 301-405-0796

Mailing Address:    Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
            Department of Geology
            Building 237, Room 1117
            University of Maryland
            College Park, MD 20742 USA