Re: Conspiracy Theory- Earth's Expansion

The earth is expanding? The mother of all real estate bubbles. I guess I'll have more Hell Creek to look at next year. Job security? The sub-prime lenders are saved!!

Seriously though, a warming earth (from the inside out) would be expanding in size (radius changes) however the total amount of mass remains the same. However, the overall gravity well would remain the same. The process by which you could measure (estimate) paleo- diameters escapes me at the moment. Yes, it seems to me the "expanders" are pretty fringe.

Now if you add a few large cosmic bolides, (a few more resultant mass extinctions)you will have a larger planet. At least you will have more elbow room. Kind of what happened to the dinos and one of the many causalities behind the fact that we are here in discourse about planetary paleo-radius changes. Accretion has occurred over geologic time (fact). It's all a matter of scale/time and the net effect.

I wonder what H.H. Hess would have thought about this? I'll keep an open mind for now. I remember hearing about Plate Tectonics for the first time and thinking "HUH"?

Frank (Rooster) Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming
www.wyomingdinosaurs.com

"The world is the way it is, not the way it seems or as you have been told it is."
Unknown