Keesey
Skickat: den 11 januari 2008 06:58
Till: Dinosaur Mailing List
Ãmne: Re: Watery evolution of man?

On Jan 10, 2008 9:34 PM, Richard W. Travsky <rtravsky@uwyo.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, T. Michael Keesey wrote:
> >
> > Again, the problem here is that "hairlessness" seems to have arisen
> > quite recently in our ancestry. This would basically require archaic
>
> Work with lice that afflict humans suggests maybe 70kya

Do you have a reference for that?

I was going by the 240kya figure in:

Winter, H., L. Langbein, M. Krawcazk, D. N. Cooper, L. F. Jave-Suarez,
M. A. Rogers, S. Praetzel, P. J. Heidt, J. Schweizer. 2001. Human type
I hair keratin pseudogene ÏhHaA has functional orthologs in the
chimpanzee and gorilla: evidence for recent inactivation of the human
gene after the Pan-Homo divergence. Hum. Genet. 1088:37-42.
doi:10.1007/s004390000439

Of course, the trait probably did develop gradually (in fact, it's
still rather variable). And both of these dates are really, really
late.

--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology