Re: Watery evolution of man?

On Jan 11, 2008 11:59 AM, Tommy Tyrberg
<tommy.tyrberg@norrkoping.mail.telia.com> wrote:
> On the other hand there are studies of the phylogeny of head lice and crabs
> that suggests that head hair and pubic hair were already ecologically
> isolated "islands" by 3.3 MY BP.

Just a thought -- mightn't that have something to do with the
differentiation of head and pubic hair from body hair rather than with
the disappearance of most body hair? (In other primates there doesn't
seem to be much difference.)

> The 240 kya figure seems reasonable, but 70 kya seems extremely unlikely. At
> that time Homo sapiens was already dispersed at least over all of Africa and
> southern and eastern Asia. Is there any other example of a genetic change
> that young that has spread to 100% of all human populations everywhere?

There are certainly genes that have spread over the entire globe in
that time, but I'm not sure about 100% penetration.

--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology