To: "DML" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 7:19 AM
Subject: Re: Modelling large theropod movement

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Marjanovic" <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:05 AM

Too many illustrations show the leg straight down so that only half the
body (left or right side) is supported by the leg. Guess there must be an
antigravity pack on the other side. Watch an ostrich or emu walking for
example.

Though... in birds, the hip joints lie far apart, while in tyrannosauroids they touched the [...] vertebral column, so this effect, while
unavoidable, must have been much smaller in *Tyrannosaurus* than in
ostriches or emus.

Then HP John Scanlon sent me a photo of an emu pelvis. It's just as narrow. Emus -- and I think ostriches, too -- are exceptions among birds and therefore fit the example pretty well, it appears.