Från: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] För Richard
W. Travsky
Skickat: den 12 januari 2008 07:15
Till: dinosaur@usc.edu
Ämne: Re: Watery evolution of man?

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, T. Michael Keesey wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2008 9:34 PM, Richard W. Travsky <rtravsky@uwyo.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, T. Michael Keesey wrote:
>>>
>>> Again, the problem here is that "hairlessness" seems to have arisen
>>> quite recently in our ancestry. This would basically require archaic
>>
>> Work with lice that afflict humans suggests maybe 70kya
>
> Do you have a reference for that?

Yes and no. Had to go back and double check the context.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VRT-49BYF2J-S
&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_ve
rsion=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=cee355b413b9d224336addf4142eb034
or
http://tinyurl.com/35gqc5
Molecular Evolution of Pediculus humanus and the Origin of Clothing
Ralf Kittler 1, Manfred Kayser and Mark Stoneking
Received 24 April 2003;  Revised 13 June 2003;  accepted 13 June 2003
Published: August 19, 2003

>From the abstract

  A molecular clock analysis indicates that body lice originated not
more
  than about 72,000  42,000 years ago

which isn't the same thing as hair loss but may imply it. I do recall
seeing accounts in the press that drew that conclusion...

> [...]

See also

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1828715
Published online 2007 March 7.  doi: 10.1186/1741-7007-5-7.

Pair of lice lost or parasites regained: the evolutionary history of
anthropoid primate lice

David L Reed, Jessica E Light, Julie M Allen, and Jeremy J Kirchman