Re: Shedding archosaurs?

I recall a taxidermy mount in the reptile hall of the
AMNH showing a turtle 'shedding' its carapace in large
sectional flakes. A quick skim through google search
results on the subject brought up some pet care pages
that state turtles do indeed shed, just not in a
single piece like snakes do.

Michelle Pinsdorf
South Dakota School of Mines & Technology

--- David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> > Could members of archosauria have been both
> skin-shedders *and*
> > endothermic?
>
> Only lepidosaurs, or only squamates (I don't know),
> shed large parts of
> their epidermis at once, and only they ever shed the
> entire epidermis all
> the way to the basal cell layer. Mammals don't do
> it, turtles don't do it,
> crocodiles don't do it, birds don't do it...

Be a better friend, newshound, and