RE: SV: Watery evolution of man?

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, John Scanlon wrote:
Not sure if this has been proposed before, but it occurred to me a few years
ago that reduction in limb and body hair would be highly advantageous for an
upright biped starting to work with fire. A chimp- or gorilla-style pelage
could catch fire near ground level and result in nasty burns at face height.
As far as I know the times of origin of these two derived conditions haven't
yet been shown to be different. Any thoughts?

Evolution would favor those not stupid enough to be that careless...