From: don ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:18:06 AM
Subject: Re: Mice "given" bat-like limbs; bet they want to give them back

I gave up cheap shots for the New Year so I will pass by Dann's
 humorous question re interspecific behavior standards; hmmm, spiders eat their
 mates, pigs eat their own young, cows defecate anywhere ... damn,
 there goes another New Year's resolution. Anyway, half my genome consisting
 of "retrovirus corpses in various stages of decay" would explain a
 lot. Makes the old "your ancestor was a monkey" insult look like small
 potatoes.

As David points out, lateral transfer may be way more important than
 anyone currently accepts. By logic, many of these events are benign or
 beneficial, but some might be catastrophic, species level or above.
 Surely many speculations or hypotheses have been advanced that attempt to
 tie the probability of a catastrophic event to average species lifespan;
 does anyone know of one that is testable?

Don