Re: Mice given bat-like forelimbs through gene switch

--- Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> We're still amateurs compared to cyanobacteria. They
> managed to pollute the
> entire planet's atmosphere with a deadly toxic gas.
> These days we call it
> 'oxygen', but back then it was a dangerous waste
> product that radically
> changed the planet's surface. Our ancestors managed
> to adapt to the toxin,
> to the point where we now depend on it.

True, but cyanobacteria took millions of years to
accomplish this. Thus giving other life forms plenty
of time to adapt to the newly toxic environment. We do
similar (though smaller scale) stuff in a much more
rapid timespan. It is the speed at which we screw
stuff up, that is the problem. That is the part that
makes it harder for ecosystems to adapt to.

____________________________________-

> Unfortunately for organic non-GM farmers, GM plants
> are often reproductively
> viable (and pollen is notoriously difficult to
> control). Legally speaking,
> once your (formerly) non-GM crops have been
> contaminated by GM wind-borne
> pollen, you're supposed to pay royalties to whomever
> owns the patents on the
> genes - whether you wanted GM crops or not!

I thought that there were a lot of "self-destructing"
seeds being produced too. If I remember right, these
one time only seeds were also a cause of much
controversy, as farmers didn't want to have to pay for
a new crop every year; thus placing us between a rock
and a hard place.

Jason

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs