RE: Mice given bat-like forelimbs through gene switch

Jura wrote:

> One could argue that viruses are single celled

No.  One could *not* argue that.  Viruses are acellular entities.  Viruses
infect the cells of organisms (including, among others, our own), but they are
not cells themselves.  Whether or not viruses qualify as "organisms" is a
separate issue.  In either case, viruses are not "single celled".

> the part they are missing that constitutes life is a
> metabolism, not a coating),

Viruses have a protein coat (the capsid); but they are not cells.

> I'm amazed that I am the only one who seems to have
> come across this separation of organism from life form
> on this list. I'm really not making any of this stuff
> up.

I don't think you're making this up either.  Rather, your undertanding of what
the term "organism" means appears to be a consequence of reading certain texts
that give the impression (either by accident or design) that an organism is
defined to be a multicellular living entity, with certain subsets of cells
specialized as organs.  However, the passages you quote never actually mandate
this particular definition.  You're reading far too much into them.

http://biggestloser.msn.com/