Re: Why was Earth a fiery hell 55 million years ago?

I don't know, all seems a trifle speculative to me. And I can't see deeper waters heating up that much over what was apparently a fairly brief event.

So what if it takes 1000 or 2000 years? :-)

And yes, we have a lot of climate and related data in very fine temporal resolution from the PETM and the time around it. So many, in fact, that the Paleocene-Eocene boundary is now _defined_ as the base of the carbon isotope spike.