Re: deep water = less ejecta?

On Jan 27, 2008, at 9:16 PM, don ohmes wrote:

Anyhow, what I was thinking re impactors is that the rock vapor fraction of the ejecta will have a much higher 'boiling point' and change phase fairly quickly, therefore carrying further and cooling more slowly (due to geometry and density) than the water fraction which as a vapor will lack momentum and dissipate it's heat quickly. But whatever. It is out of my depth, anyway (pun intended).

Don

Oh, I see what you're saying. It would indeed seem as if the timing of state changes could affect inertial components and thus dispersal distance. It's not my area of expertise, either, so I can't really comment on that aspect with much confidence. There's the added factor that the heat capacities will change as the ejecta cool, so the overall heat loss curves are non-linear, which makes things rather more complicated (as if they weren't messy enough...)

Cheers,

--Mike

Michael Habib, M.S. PhD. Candidate Center for Functional Anatomy and Evolution Johns Hopkins School of Medicine 1830 E. Monument Street Baltimore, MD 21205 (443) 280-0181 habib@jhmi.edu