Re: Tetrapod extinctions in the PETM?

Quoting tholtz@geol.umd.edu:

Which raises the question in my mind: which tetrapod lineages *did*
disappear?

AFAIK none. But the Paleocene fossil record is not terribly good, and neither is my knowledge of it.

Actually, the Paleocene record IS pretty good (for at least some regions). See, for example: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~gingeric/PDGwyoming/PEmammals.htm

From the site:

"In the process of making the new collections required for the Clarkforkian study, we were able to map a narrow interval of strata that contained...the earliest North American primates (Cantius torresi and Teilhardina brandti, named for graduate students Victor Torres and Carrie Brandt who found the type specimens of each species)..."

Oops.  Assuming Carrie Brandt is female, that's _T. brandtae_.

"...and the earliest North American artiodactyl (Diacodexis ilicis, named for graduate student Holly Smith who found the type specimen of this)."

Now *that*'s some nice Latin (ilex, ilic- 'holly')!

Well, OK, it looks like it originally referred to a kind of oak, but whatever.

Nicholas J. Pharris
Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6       phone:    +49 (0) 341 35 50 304
D-04103 Leipzig         fax:      +49 (0) 341 35 50 333
Germany                 e-mail:   nicholas_pharris@eva.mpg.de

"Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    --Edwin H. Land