Re: New Geologic Epoch

--- Adrienne Mayor <afmayor@aol.com> schrieb:

> On Jan 29, 2008, at 12:22 PM, K and T Dykes wrote:
>
> <<GAINING GROUND?!? The paper came out this week!
> How can it gain
> ground if it
> hasn't had time to be evaluated!>>
>
> My post was intended to report, not necessarily
> support the idea.
>
> The concept and phrase "Anthropocene" is not new;
> it's been discussed
> for some time in the geological and scientific
> community.

Crutzen & Stoermer (2000): The Anthropcene. IGBP
Newsletter 41.
http://www.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~air/anthropocene/

Australia has been under significant _Homo sapiens_
influence since 40.000 BC or so. For most of the
world, the Anthropocene is more or less = Holocene.
The more recent cutoff dates are when the process
becomes really conspicuous, not when it starts.

Eike

      Heute schon einen Blick in die Zukunft von E-Mails wagen? Versuchen Sie´s
mit dem neuen Yahoo! Mail. www.yahoo.de/mail