Re: New Geologic Epoch

On Jan 29, 2008 11:10 PM, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
> > > Other proposals to the ICS include mucking about with the
> > > Carboniferous (again...)
>
> How? Reversing the silly "subera" designation for the Mississippian and the
> Pennsylvanian that means the Carboniferous now has 5 epochs consisting of 1
> stage each (some of them very long!) and 1 epoch consisting of a whopping 2
> stages?

The proposal* at ICS site has the Carboniferous divided both into
Lower/Middle/Upper and into the Mississipian and Pennsylvanian. I'm
not sure how that is supposed to be interpreted but the miniepochs of
the current scheme appear to be gone.

* http://www.stratigraphy.org/TS07L.pdf

--
Andreas Johansson