Re: New Geologic Epoch

On Jan 29, 2008 2:10 PM, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> How? Reversing the silly "subera" designation for the Mississippian and the
> Pennsylvanian that means the Carboniferous now has 5 epochs consisting of 1
> stage each (some of them very long!) and 1 epoch consisting of a whopping 2
> stages?

All this dithering over ranks reminds me why phylogenetic nomenclature
was invented. I'm no geologist, but couldn't something similar be done
for geochronological units? Why not just define the "Mississipian" as
the unit beginning with [insert geochronological marker here] and
ending with [insert geochronological marker here], and then forget
about debates over whether it's a subera or an infraformation or a
superstage or whatever? As with clades, units include or overlap other
units -- seems like a decent analogy to me.

--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology