From: dinosaur@gilvary.net <dinosaur@gilvary.net>
Subject: Re: advice for the undergrad
To: "DML List" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 4:13 PM
T. Michael Keesey wrote:
From: "Sarah Werning"
<swerning@gmail.com>
Many programs also accept computer programming
languages as second
languages
Really?? That's kind of odd, since programming
languages are much
easier to gain fluency in. Well ... you have to learn
one first, and
then the rest are pretty easy. If you know
ActionScript, for example,
then you basically know JavaScript (they are derived
from the same
standard), can fairly easily learn Java, C, C++, C#,
PHP, etc. and

After doing software development these past twenty years,
I'd like to meet someone who can fairly easily learn C++. :)

Learning the rudiments of any language, human or machine,
might take only a few months. Acquiring fluency (or in machine
languages, proficiency) is completely another matter. I can say
"spacibo" or ask for "dva piva" after listening to a CD, but
I'm not going to appreciate Pushkin for some time yet. The hypothetical Java programmer
might understand a looping construct, but that's a long way
from being able to design and implement a non-trivial application.

it's not too much of a stretch to learn Perl,
Python, Ruby, BASIC,
etc. Some elements appear in almost every programming
language, like
"if" blocks, "for" and
"while" loops, mathematical operators,
functions, etc.

Anyway, it takes at most a year or so to learn a
computer language
(and usually just a month or two), while human
languages can take
anywhere from a couple of years to a decade. Seems odd
to equate them.