Re: Mystery of Mass Extinctions Is No Longer Murky

A moist greenhouse (or wet greenhouse) is inevitable because the sun is
gradually warming as it burns hydrogen, but calculations I saw predicted that
it would take 1.1 billion years, at which point the sun would be 11% brighter.
The theory is that the oceans will gradually evaporate, and water vapor will
rise into the stratosphere, where solar ultraviolet will split the water
molecules into hydrogen and oxygen and the oxygen will escape.

Any proper model of climate in deep geologic time has to consider the lower
solar flux earlier in the Earth's history. It's only a few percent back in the
Cretaecous, but becomes more significant earlier.

--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com  http://www.jeffhecht.com