RE: sorry - replied wrong: RE: toofs

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Hammer
>
> >>I don't know what this statement was in refernce to.
> >>
> >>However, no: the largest T. rex teeth are absolutely larger
> than the
> >>largest Daspletosaurus teeth.
> >
> >Thank you - that was a statement from another dino book that
> really was
> >bugging me as impractical / improbable.
> >The author additionally stated that Das. had a more robust skeleton
> >than T. Rex.
> >A shorter, heavier foot, for example.

They are... Confused. (I'll be polite).

> >>Because carcharodontosaurids simply retained the ancestral
> condition
> >>rather than evolving a new state. Different strokes (or
> bites) for different folks.
> >>

> >But it would "seem" that due to the large sauropods running around
> >South America, at least, that these guys would need to have evolved
> >relatively larger dentition to deal with them - of course, we don't
> >know what sizes were 'targets' and probably not the adult
> larger-sized
> >titanosaurs  .... ?
> >Would a bite from a large Giganotosaurus to a titanosaur
> neck have more
> >or less inflicted a mortal wound?

If Allosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus teeth were sufficient to kill their
sauropods (albeit perhaps with aid of talon-based wounds), why wouldn't the
even-larger Giganotosaurus teeth be sufficient?

The different sized (and more importantly, shaped!) teeth of tyrannosaurids
most likely represents a different in the style of their feeding, not in the
size of the "target audience." Ditto spinosaurid teeth.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/