Re: Ornithurine diversity

Tail morphology does affect launch performance, but it is not the primary feature associated with burst launch in animals like pigeons and doves. Some of the more critical burst-launch characteristics include: large pectoralis muscle fraction (esp. pec. minor), improved elevation arc of the forelimb, rapid starting vortex production via wing stroke alterations (clap and fling, AP wing "slicing", etc), altered preload phase with a more vertical push from the hind limbs, and overall reinforced skeletal spar (the proximal forelimbs, especially, are subjected to higher-than-average loads).

In any case, those skeletomuscular features might be a better place to look for evidence of vertical burst launch in Mesozoic birds (not that tail morph analysis isn't important, too). As for the advantages, I agree with John's assessment - it has substantial anti-predation ramifications.

Cheers,

--Mike