Re: Ornithurine diversity

Quoting Michael Habib <mhabib5@jhmi.edu>:

> In any case, those skeletomuscular features might be a better place to
> look for evidence of vertical burst launch in Mesozoic birds (not that
> tail morph analysis isn't important, too).  As for the advantages, I
> agree with John's assessment - it has substantial anti-predation
> ramifications.

I once watched a small falcon trying to prey on a flock of pigeons. It
literally hung in the air without
beating it's wings at all by facing into the wind. Several of the pigeons
however managed to climb
above the falcon, and maintained their position above and behind it by
furiously beating their wings. As
soon as the falcon began to dive on a pigeon below, one of the pigeons above (I
assume they were
adult males) dived on the falcon, causing it to swerve and miss it's intended
target. The falcon would
turn around and present it's talons to the attacking pigeons, but the pigeons
were much too agile for it.

The falcons's low-energy approach to hovering may have been more energy
efficient, but the pigeons
high-energy hovering tactics made them more manoueverable and quicker to
accelerate.  In the end
the falcon went away hungry (as too, I would imagine, would have the pigeons
after all that high-
energy hovering).

Dann Pigdon