Re: hovering diversity (was Re: Ornithurine diversity)

> I would say it is a combination of both.  There is not much
> point in
> hovering in areas that don't provide good hunting, and
> you'd only hunt in
> areas that have no exernal energy source available either
> when the hunting
> there is very, very much better than average, or
> alternatively -- when you
> are very hungry.
> JimC

I was refering in a more limited sense to their one dimensional position
relative to the bluff - out in front in the smooth lifting air, rather than
farther back where the airflow isn't so conducive to hovering/soaring.

Given the size of most bluffs/ coastal cliffs, and a birds excellent vision. I
doubt they'd go anywhere but the easiest place to /hoversoar while scanning for
food/hunting - since we aren't talking a huge distance, or much change in what
they can see/perspective.

Obviously once prey/food is sighted, its position relative to the ridge will
change as it attempts to get that food. I think until a food source is located,
while ridge soaring and searching, their position relative to the ridge is
primarily determined by the airflow