AW: Various other papers of interest in the latest Palaeontology

> DARLA K. ZELENITSKY, FRANÇOIS THERRIEN
> PHYLOGENETIC ANALYSIS OF REPRODUCTIVE TRAITS OF
> MANIRAPTORAN THEROPODS AND
> ITS IMPLICATIONS FOR EGG PARATAXONOMY
> 807-816
> DOI: 10.1111/j.1475-4983.2008.00770.x
> US: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-4983.2008.00770.x
> AB: Abstract: A phylogenetic analysis of reproductive and
> oological (egg)
> traits of theropod taxa allows determination of the
> sequence in which these
> traits evolved in Theropoda. Our results indicate that
> several avian
> reproductive traits, such as adults sitting on eggs,
> asymmetrical eggs,
> unornamented eggshell surface, and complex eggshell
> ultrastructure, were
> already present in non-avian maniraptorans, and could have
> evolved in more
> basal theropods. In addition, non-avian maniraptorans laid
> two eggs at a
> time and orientated their eggs subvertically or
> subhorizontally in their
> nests, features not retained by neornithine birds. Based on
> our cladistic
> analysis it is also possible to infer the phylogenetic
> affinity of ootaxa of
> unknown parentage: Protoceratopsidovum was laid by a
> maniraptoran more
> derived than oviraptorids, and Parvoolithus probably
> belonged to a
> Cretaceous bird. Finally, our analysis reveals that many of
> the high-level
> categories of egg parataxonomy (morphotypes and basic
> types) are unnatural
> groupings (i.e. non-monophyletic). We recommend that these
> high-level
> categories be abandoned because oofamilies are sufficient
> to categorize egg
> taxa.

This looks nice. We have a good number of egg fossils that warrant review in
the light of this study (do they mention _Tristraguloolithus_ perchance?).

Eike

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail.
Dem pfiffigeren Posteingang.
http://de.overview.mail.yahoo.com