Re: Turtles and Crocodylians are not Reptiles - no? What are they?

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Dora Smith <villandra@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> See, clearly, in order to qualify as a reptile, you have to be svelte and
> have advanced brain structure, and feathers.   A reptile isn't squat, isn't
> ugly, isn't cold blooded, doesn't have scales, and certainly isn't no
> premammalian whatever, because they're stupid on top of everything else.

They retained squamates and tuataras (i.e., lepidosaurs) as reptiles.

> Seriously, if turtles and crocodiles aren't reptiles, what are tehy?

They raised Chelonia and Eusuchia to the level of "class". So turtles
are chelonians and crocodylians are eusuchians.

(Incidentally, the name "Chelonia" is problematic, since it's also the
name of a genus! I think "Testudines" is generally preferred for the
group.)

> Mind you, I understand why that not even frogs are amphibians

If anything is an amphibian (which is a valid question for several
reasons, both scientific and nomenclatural), then frogs are.

> Well, I needed a good laugh.

The persistence of ranks frequently has amusing (or, depending on your
point of view, pathetic) effects.
--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology