Re: Feathered Bloodhounds

Having grown up in the country, I declare my extreme skepticism on practical
grounds. In contrast to deer hunting: when duck, dove, quail, or turkey hunting
one needs worry not a whit about which way the air is moving, whether one
should smoke, or what detergent one's clothes were washed in.

If the birds whose behavior I am familiar with are obtaining olfactory
information, they are not using that information to avoid predation.

Nor have I observed birds engaged in any scent-driven behaviors; sniffing each
other, altering their route to investigate/avoid a source of odor, or just
'testing the air'. Such behaviors can be observed on a daily basis w/ many
mammals, even humans...

If birds have good sniffers, they don't seem to be getting much bang for their
buck. Maybe a re-examination of underlying assumptions is in order, because
this one doesn't pass the smell test.

Don