Re: Turtles and Crocodylians are not Reptiles - no? What are they?

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Tim Williams
<twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not trying to be tricky here with semantics - quite the opposite.   I'm
> just trying to get the point across that "closer" in a phylogenetic
> context does *not* necessarily mean "shared ancestry".  Further, "closer"
> should not even imply "shared ancestry".

Well, actually almost by definition in phylogenetic context "closer"
*necessarily* means that... E.g. branch-based taxon definition use
"closer to A than to B" formula.

[]s,

Roberto Takata