Re: Megalania question - DNA

hammeris1@bellsouth.net writes:

As I don't have access to the latest/greatest on this particular lizard (the four books I have that reference it at all state its size as either twice or four times that of a Komodo dragon)

More recent estimates put an adult Megalania at around 4.5m long and between 300 to 400kg in weight.
http://www.bio.usyd.edu.au/staff/swroe/Wroe2002review.pdf

I wanted to know what the most recent age on any bones for this beastie is?
If some remains have been found deep in some Australian cave, non-fossilized,
could viable DNA be extracted?  40,000 to 25,000 yrs back seems to me a
reasonable time for this.

As far as I'm aware, no Megalania bones have been found in cave deposits. Most of the known fossils are fairly fragmentary and often badly weathered.

Dann Pigdon