RE: How did T. rexes hold their hands?

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
>
> I've heard it said that raptors could not pronate their
> wrists the way humans can; instead, their hands were stuck
> facing each other, as if holding an imaginary basketball. Was
> this restriction confined to the dromeosaurids/maniraptorans
> or was it general to theropods or coelurosaurs?

Probably to ALL theropods, as well as basal sauropodomorphs. The
maniraptoran change is that they have expanded degree of motion within the
one plane they CAN move their wrists.

So they can hold a basketball, but no one-handed dribble...

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/