Re: Chaoyangopteridae

Jim,

Just wondering: do your estimations of lung volume take into account
pulmonary airsacs distributed around the neck, torso and forearm?
Patrick O'Connor and chums gave an interesting talk on this at Munich: I
believe there is a paper in the works, but I'm not sure how far along it
is. Certainly the stuff at Munich looked pretty spiffing, so hopefully
it won't be too long in coming.

Oh, and while I'm here and talking about air-filled pterosaurs and
things: for the record, yes, my heavy 250 kg estimations _are_ pretty
much maximum masses. Seeing as my method of skeletal mass/body mass
regression was based around the same regression of modern captive
animals, we should imagine these pterosaurs as healthy, well fed
individuals: you know, the kind of pterosaurs we would expect to see in
zoos. Imagine being the guy would had to shovel the Hatzegopteryx guano.
Ugh.

Cheers,

Mark

>What about long necked birds such as swans and flamingos? Swans in
>particular are interesting in this regard, since they not only exhibit

>large >tracheal dead space but are known to fly at considerable
altitudes.

Swans have relatively larger torsos and lungs, and relatively shorter
necks.

--

Mark Witton

Palaeobiology Research Group