Re: pterosaur femora sprawl

Dave Peters (davidpeters@att.net) wrote:

<Until I see an example of the kinematics of quadrupedal launching from a
horizontal surface, I can't envision it. Not when pterosaur ancestors and the
first pterosaurs were incapable of touching the ground with their forelimbs
(while balancing glenoids over toes) -- and they had big thighs with a pelvis
1/3 the torso length.>

  I'd like to see some published, anatomical evidence to back this statement
up, especially given that most pterosaurs seem ill-suited for not only bipedal
stance, but exclusively bipedal standing. That basal pterosaurs are
particularly suiting it seems to stand quadrupedally given the size/flexibility
of their manus/wrist.

  Anyways, please, I'd like to see a paper describing why a pterosaur is
ill-suited to walking quadrupedally.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
http://bitestuff.blogspot.com/