Re: pterosaur femora sprawl

David Marjanovic writes:

I forgot to mention that gibbons walk bipedally in the rare cases when they actually walk, and that orang-utans have recently been found to behave similarly.

As far as I know, the only orang ever observed to knuckle walk was a heavily overweight invdividual in a zoo (and it was more of a shuffle than a true walk anyway). This was back in the early 1990s so other examples may have since been observed, but they'd still be the exceptions rather than the rule. Orangs typically have little choice but to walk bipedally on their rare trips to the ground.

Dann Pigdon