Re: pterosaur femora sprawl

 David Peters
1247 Highland Terrace
St. Louis, MO  63117-1712
314-781-1795 phone and fax
314-323-7776 cell

davidpeters@att.net

>   Anyways, please, I'd like to see a paper describing why a pterosaur is
> ill-suited to walking quadrupedally.

Most are _not_ ill-suited. So you'll never such a paper, I suppose. You all are
reading way too much into this and you're getting way too polarized.

Only the most basal forms and others with hyper-long metacarpals coupled with
short legs (like Nyctosaurus) would have difficulties (or it would be the
essentially the same as walking bipedally, as shown by Bennett), as I'm sure
you'll agree.

For most pterosaurs it would be extremely easy to slip from one mode to the
other because, properly configured, the glenoid is over the toes, as in birds.
One can lift the wings without changing anything else and remain completely
balanced, whether walking or standing still.