Who's Afraid of New Papers?

Out today:

Kundrát, M., A. R. I. Cruickshank, T. W. Manning & J. Nudds. 2008.
Embryos of therizinosauroid theropods from the Upper Cretaceous of
China: diagnosis and analysis of ossification patterns. _Acta Zoologica_
89 (3): 231-251.

"Exceptionally complete, in ovo dinosaur embryos from the Upper
Cretaceous of China are analysed. Ossification patterns of these embryos
suggest that they died during the final third of their development. The
therizinosauroid identity of the embryos follows from: (1) an edentulous
premaxilla with a sharp downturned edge; (2) dentary with a lateral
shelf; (3) teeth with fan-shaped crowns, with a few marginal cusps; (4)
humerus with a massive deltopectoral crest extending proximally, with a
pointed proximomedial tuberosity; (5) ilium with an expanded and hooked
preacetabular process; (6) strongly curved hypertrophied manual unguals
tapering to sharp points. These embryos are closest to two Chinese
therizinosauroids, Neimongosaurus yangi Zhang et al. 2001 and
Erliansaurus bellamanus Xu et al. 2002. An elongated narial opening,
reduced basipterygoid process, low cervical neural spines, a
transversely narrow pubic apron, and a pubic foot expanded anteriorly
are found in these embryos and are synapomorphies uniting the
Therizinosauroidea and the Oviraptorosauria. Fusion of cervical and
caudal neural arches and centra, complete ossification of thoracic ribs
and ilium, possible co-ossification of tibia and fibula, fused pubes,
complete meta- and acropodial elements, together with small portions of
unossified epiphyses of long bones suggest an advanced precociality of
these embryos."

    Before anyone asks, I'm afraid I don't have a pdf as yet.

    Cheers,

        Christopher Taylor

Christopher Taylor
Dept of Environmental Biology