To: <davidpeters@att.net>
Cc: "jrc" <jrccea@bellsouth.net>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: vaulting pterosaur launch: I give up

I wouldn't become too overly focused on illustrations as demonstration, in any case. Visualizing a dynamic process like launch is very helpful, but the illustrations themselves are more a depiction of the conclusions than a source of evidence (and leave lots of room for artistic license, if not constrained by quantitative evidence). The evidence really comes, in this case, from the structural mechanics and quantitative analysis.