Re: Scales, hair, integumentary structure relationships?

<In all* modern birds, including the hoatzin at all growth stages, the third
finger contains a single short bone which is probably a fusion product and
encased in the same flesh as the second finger. The second and third
metacarpals are fused at the proximal and the distal end; the first metacarpal
is very short and fused to the proximal ends of the others as well as to the
distal carpals.>

  I am curious as to the source of info that a single phalanx would be the
product of a fusion, rather than simply losing the distal elements of the
digit? It seems plausible to me, as it appears in the pedal features, than an
intermediate phalanx would simply not condense during development, or would
gain the characteristics (as happens in mammals) of the preceeding or suceeding
digit, and thus simply not have that phalanx. Since distal loss of phalanges
appears to be classic for birds, given the absence of ungual-like elements of
the manus in most birds, should we not predict that phalangeal elimination is
the culprit, rather than phalangeal fusion?

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
http://bitestuff.blogspot.com/