Re: Scales, hair, integumentary structure relationships?

I am curious as to the source of info that a single phalanx would be the product of a fusion, rather than simply losing the distal elements of the digit?

Published illustrations of *Sapeornis*, *Jibeinia*, *Eocathayornis*, *Protopteryx* and the like.

I don't have any evidence from development for either hypothesis. Can someone help me out there?