Re: Scales, hair, integumentary structure relationships?

David Marganovic wrote, in part,

I was asked yesterday to provide a source that says most birds have claws on the first and/or second fingers. I have come across a few places, such as Feduccia's 1996 book, which cite a "Fischer 1942" paper which is said to report finger claws from all "orders" except six. Granted, the claws (and the bones that carry them) are usually very small and straight.

See a decade-old post of mine to the dinolist on this topic at http://dml.cmnh.org/1998Jul/msg01020.html

PTJN