Re: vaulting pterosaur launch, questions

Apart from bringing one back to life somehow, exactly how do we "properly" establish that Archie flew? The fossil evidence is entirely consistent with an animal that was most likely at least a rudimentary flapping flyer.

Actually, it's a bit mixed in this regard.

How did it fly? By flapping its wings.

Okay, very funny :) Seriously, though, there's a lot to this question of importance: it includes launch, power output, flapping kinematic, and landing dynamics.

When did it fly? About 150 ma, give or take a few. Where did it fly? At least in and around the area now know as Solnhofen, Germany. Why did it fly? Who the heck knows! You might as well ask why do we walk? Or why do fish swim?...

I think Scott meant "why" as in "under what stimulus" - as a mode of travel between elevated points, or as a predator escape, or something else entirely?

Cheers,

--Mike