Re: vaulting pterosaur launch, questions

Even the brooding hypothesis (which I like) doesn't explain why the feathers of _Archaeopteryx_ were asymmetrical,

It does, or at least it claims to do: the leading edge is more likely to contact the ground.

It also explains very nicely why tertials aren't remiges (not even in soaring birds with endless humeri) and why Archie lacks them altogether.

nor why the tail was lined with rectrices.

Indeed not, but for this you can always blame sexual selection :o)

As to whether it was a glider, a sustained flier, or something in between - of course, we'll never *know*.

That doesn't mean we can't do science on this question. Had Archie been a glider, it would almost certainly have had tertials...