Re: origin of bats

With regard to non-volant locomotory abilities: Onychonycteris hyper-folds its hands at the wrist/metacarpal joints, like all bats do. Evidently it was not using its hands like most quadrupedal tetrapods do. And the bipedal hypothesis still stands. Claws and all.

Keep in mind that the distal wing could be functional in some climbing maneuvers, but still be folded away in typical bat style during rest. The lingering of the claws suggests that they might have been important very close to the origin of flight (or simultaneous with it); that's the point being made, anyway.

Body parts don't disappear immediately after cessation of use. But they do disappear eventually. Case in point: Fruit bat (flying fox) manual digit II ungual. Analogy: hind limbs on primitive whales.

The digit II claw in flying foxes is not entirely non-functional. They are also quadrupedal suspensory climbers, mostly via digit I of course, so we might suppose that the loss of the other claws and the evolution of extreme folding in the wing simply moved the quad climbing loads to the first digit. Doesn't seem to speak to bipedalism specifically.

Cheers,

--Mike